Friday, May 17, 2013

Music On The Brain

How's this for odd...I wake up every morning with a song playing in my head. It's always a different song, various genres. It's been happening for years and I have yet to figure out why it happens.

At first, you'd think it was residual memory from the day before. I listen to a lot of music throughout the day. I have my podcasts, playlists, and if all else fails, commercial radio. So it would be easy to assume that I hear a song during the day that gets caught by the filter in my subconscious and breaks free when I wake up the next morning. Plausible explanation. But that's not it.

I say this because some of the songs that pop up in my waking brain are not songs I ever listen to. They are obviously songs that I've heard over the years, but why would a Madonna song (shudder) suddenly begin playing in my brain when I don't listen to her music, and probably haven't heard one of her songs in months or years?

That's the weirdness. I've woken to songs that I haven't heard since childhood. Songs that I don't even remember hearing before. I know it's all caught in the mind, bits and pieces that slowly build up and, I guess, push one song each day into the rotation.

I've met a couple of other people who experience the same thing, and none of us can figure it out. I'm sure there is a nice, tidy medical/psychological explanation, one that I'm sure I'd find if I were to Google it, but there's also something about the mystery of it that intrigues me.

So there you have it, my morning jukebox.

RB

No comments:

Post a Comment